So it’s been a while since I followed the MHM method after having the twists, weave, more twists etc. One thing I like about the method though is that it’s nice to have a fixed regimen, I know exactly what i’m going to do and how often I need to do it. Whether I do exactly what i’m supposed to do is another thing entirely.
One thing I noticed about MHM is, my curls are always more defined than before, no matter what I did to my hair in between. I used to think that combing the hair would reverse or slow down the clumping, which it probably does to an extent but I still see better results every cycle.
My current method/products, do differ slightly than before but it doesn’t seem to have changed my hair in a major fashion. My current method is:
- Cherry Lola: Liquid aminos, conditioner or yoghurt, honey and olive oil. I do this for at least an hour.
- If i’m not doing the Cherry Lola I use a mix of water, conditioner and baking soda (I find that this mix is nice and slippery for detangling) rinsing immediately after the section is detangled.
- Bentonite clay mix: about half a cup of bentonite clay mixed with aloe vera gel, olive oil, honey and conditioner. I leave this on for about 30 mins.
- Deep conditioner: This I leave on for another 30 mins or so, sometimes the bentonite can be a bit drying so I only use this to soften it back up again.
- Warm water, olive oil and conditioner: This mix really defines my curls and allows me to separate the clumps to create more volume whilst preventing frizz. This is a new find that i’m sticking to.
- Gel if I find it necessary. After using the mix above, I don’t need to use gel because it stays soft for a few days, but I find gel reduces the shrinkage so I do use it sometimes.
The difference isn’t really that much from cycle to cycle, mainly because I don’t follow it 100% and I also don’t always use recommended products, but what it you can’t see is how much smoother the hair gets each time, or that there are less tangles than before. Also I tried using my blow dryer on cool once or twice to reduce the shrinkage, I find my hair tangles if i don’t wash it under 3 days if it’s too shrunken, the blow dryer helps with this. I don’t have pictures of after the hair dries because I’m only vain when i’m washing my hair, afterwards I seem to forget that pictures are needed haha.